Red onion - 1 big sliced thin and cut in two
Green chilies - 5 chopped
Tomatoes - 3 sliced
Cashewnuts - 2 tbsps chopped (optional)
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Cardamom - 2 nos
Cloves - 5 nos
Pepper - 10 nos
Bay Leaf - 2 nos
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Chili powder - 1.5 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
Cilantro - 1 small bunch
Mint - small bunch
Basmati rice - 3 cups
Water - 6 cups
1. Wash and soak the basmati rice for 10 minutes.In a non-stick kadai heat 1 tbsp of ghee and add the bay leaves. Then add the rice by straining water and fry it till the aroma arises. Then cook it in the rice cooker with the 6 cups of water and add a little salt. Once done remove it, spread it on a plate or a deep dish so that they dont form lumps and allow it to cool
2. In a kadai pour the oil and the ghee and when hot add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, pepper and the cashews.
3. When fried well add the chopped green chilies and stir it for a few seconds before adding the sliced onions.
4. Let the onions get cooked completely and turn golden in color.
5. Now add the garam masala and the ginger garlic paste.
6. Once the raw smell of the ginger garlic paste goes. Put in the chicken pieces and mix well.
7. Wait until it is half done and then add the turmeric powder, chili powder and the coriander powder.
8. Mix well and allow it to cook for another 5mins. Now add the tomatoes and salt.
10. Add the minced cilantro and the mint to the cooked chicken masala and allow it to simmer well.
11. Mix a few pinch of tandoor color with a little water, only need a few drops. Soak a little saffron with water too. This is completely optional.
12.Preheat the oven the 350 degrees. In an oven safe dish or deep tray rub a little butter or ghee at the bottom.
13.Layer rice then the gravy then rice and so on and always remember that the rice should form the top layer, otherwise the meat will become dry.
14. Now sprinkle the color water on the top and then cover with aluminium foil.
15. Place it in the pre-heated oven for 30 mins.
16. Serve hot with raita or any side dish of choice.
This quantity will serve 5-7 people.
I am sending this entry for Vandana's contest of the month. Her blog is http://cookingupsomethingnice.blogspot.com/okingupsomethingnice.blogspot.com/
This goes to Sri's Event for September.