My mom used to make this shrimp masala and i used to love it and the recipe is also very simple. Most of the time i would ask her to make this dish with dhal rice. The taste used to be so wonderful and i still remember the aroma and the flavor.
Thanks mom you were the best!
Shallots - chopped a small cup
Ginger - chopped fine - 1 tbsp
Garlic - chopped fine - 1 tbsp
Chili powder - 1.5 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut oil - a few drops (optional for flavor)
Curry leaves - a few
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Shrimp - peeled, deviened - 1 lb (can use either fresh or frozen)
1. In a kadai pour 2 tbsp of oil and when hot add the mustard seeds and when it splutters add the chopped shallots and the curry leaves.
2. When done add the chopped ginger and garlic and let it get cooked completely.
3. Now add the turmeric powder and the chili powder and wait till the aroma arises.
4. Add the shrimp and mix it slowly in the masala and pour very little water and salt and let it cook completely.
5. Optional choice of chopped cilantro can be added to it just before removing it. Remember to remove it once it is cooked.
P.S. - If using precooked dont cook it for a long time otherwise it will become rough and will loose its flavor.
This entry goes to Srivalli's Curry Mela.