Since we moved to miami, i hadn't made paav bhaji and V loves it. I made it for just the two of us and it was really yumm....It is a north indian dish and mainly part of the chaat items but it can be eaten for dinner too, it is very filling as it is made with lots of vegetables and butter. The main base ingredient for the bhaji is tomatoes. The longer the bhaji cooks the better.It is easy to make and once you've eaten it, you would wanna eat it over and over again..
Onion - 1 big chopped
Tomatoes -6 chopped
Green chili - 2 chopped
Mixed vegetables - 1 big bowl (bean, carrot, peas, cabbage,cauliflower,capsicum)
Potatoes - 2 chopped fine (or boiled seperately and mashed)
Ginger garlic paste - 1.5tsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1.5tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Amchur - 1/4 tsp
Chaat masala - 1/2 tsp
Pepper - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Butter - 4 tbsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Cilantro - a handful chopped
1. In a deep kadai pour oil and add 2tbsp of butter and add the fennel seeds followed by the chopped green chilies and onions.
2.Once the onions are cooked add the garam masala and the ginger garlic paste
3.Now add the tomatoes and let it cook completely
4. Add the turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, amchur and the chaat masala and stir it well till the oil seperates.
5. Now add the vegetables and mix it well and pour around half a glass of water and add salt and allow it to cook completely.
6.If u are using boiled and smshed potatoes do not add it now, wait till the vegetables are fullly cooked and tehn add it.
7. Every 10 minutes use a smasher and press down the vegetables so that they get mixed well and smashed well too.
8. When the vegetabels are 3/4 done add another tbsp of butter, pepper and the cilantro and let it cook. If you think that the vegetables need water to cook pour a little more water. Do not pour lots of water as the bhaji has to be thick.
9. If you are adding the boiled potatoes add it now and mix well.
10. The gravy has to be really thick and add the remaining butter before switching it off.
11. Cut onion into slices or circles or chopped fine and keep aside and a few wedges of lime
12. Toast the paav/bread with butter and serve hot with the onion and lemon wedges.