A spicy and sour side dish that goes well with dosa and venn pongal. This dish tastes still better a day later, it is not very time consuming but once one learns to make it, its very easy. It can be made wit chopped small onions or chopped brinjal(small ones).
To be fried and powdered:
In a little oil fry the above and powder finely or grind it into a fine paste.
1. In a heavy bottom vessel pour the oil and when hot add the sauting ingredients.
2. Add either chopped small onions or chopped small brinjal of choice
3. When half done add 1 tsp of tamarind paste, half a glass of water and salt.
4. Once the tamarind smell goes add the powdered/ground masala, add very little jaggery for a sweet flavor.
5. Stir regularly as the masala is made with dhal it may get settled at the bottom of the vessel and get burnt.
6. Let it simmer for until it thickens well and then remove from your stove top.
Serve it hot with venn pongal, dosas and some may even like it with rotis and curd rice.