NALABAGHAM

I ain't good at drawing but I can say with confidence that I can cook quite well and make everyone happy, with a good meal. Cooking is an art and with passion & Love for it we can create so many wonderful dishes....Loving it everytime...

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Dhal with Greens

Both my husband and my son love dhal made this way. My mom used to make this often and she used to mix the rice with a little ghee along with the dhal and the aroma and the taste was out of this world :) This is one of the curries that my son eats with rice without giving me much trouble. I make dhal with spinach almost every week and each time it keeps getting better.

Ingredients :-
Moong dhal - 1 cup
Spinach leaves - 2 cups chopped coarsely
Tomato - 1
Garlic - 3 cloves
Asafoetida -4 pinch
Onion chopped - 2 tbsp
For Sauting :
Mustard seeds & cumin seeds
Chili powder & turmeric powder

Method:-
1. Fry the dhal before washing without oil till the aroma arises
2. Let it cool before washing it.
3. In a cooker add the washed dha, cut greens, tomato, garlic cloves, 2 pinch of asafoetida water and let it cook for around 4 to 5 whistles.
4. In a deep dish heat oil add mustard seeds,cumin seeds, 2 pinch of asafoetida and chopped onions.
5. In the meantime smash the cooked dhal and greens well with a smasher.
6. Once the onions are well done add turmeric powder and chili powder and saute till aroma arises, pour the dhal and add salt and let it simmer for sometime.

Serve hot with rice or rotis and for added flavor you can add a teaspoon of ghee to it.



I am sending this to Sangeeth's Calcium Rich Event

No comments: