This is a very old dish of mine, I guess this is one that I learned even before my marriage. I don't know as to why I don't make it very often. I think I got the recipe from my cousin but I just can't recollect from whom or where.. It is very simple to make and it has a lot of flavors.
Okra / ladies finger - cut into 1 inch pieces
Onion - 1 medium finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste
Lemon juice - a few drops
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Chili Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Tomato - 2 nos finely chopped or pureed
Whipping cream - 1/4 cup (i use regular)
Salt to taste
Cooking oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
1. Heat oil in a kadai add the chopped onion.
2. Fry until it turns pink now add the cut okra and maintain heat at low to medium and let the bindi cook completely
3. Keep stirring it regularly but carefully so as to avoid breaking of the okra and add a little salt
4. Once it gets cooked completely and the stickiness is gone add garam masala, ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
5. Add turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin powder, lemon juice and fry for a couple of minutes.
6. Now pour in the tomato puree or chopped tomatoes and add a quarter cup of water and let it cook completely and add salt.
7. Once the oil separates and the gravy starts to thicken add the whipping cream and reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes
8. Switch off the stove, cover it and let is rest for a few minutes before serving.
Serve hot with rotis or poori