An easy to make peas pulao, the only difference being instead of water use coconut milk. You can use store bought or freshly made at home. I ws bored of making pulao and since I had no other vegetable I decided to try it with coconut milk for a different flavor. Though rich it did get a pass mark from Vivek!
You will need:-
Green chilies - 3 nos chopped
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 1tsp
Biriyani masala - 1 tsp
Whole pepper - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 medium chopped
Spring onions - 2 nos chopped
Peas - 1 cup
Saffron - a few soaked in water (optional)
Coconut milk - 3 cups
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Basmati rice - 1.5 cups
Salt to taste
Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
Ghee - a few drops (optional)
1. In a kadai pour the oil and the ghee and once hot add the cumin seeds, pepper and green chilies and fry for a few seconds. Now add the onions and once well done add the ginger garlic paste. Wait until the raw smell goes.
2. Add the garam masala and the biriyani masala and fry well.
3. Once the masala is well done add the peas and let it cook for a while. It is not necessary for the peas to get fully cooked now.
4. Now add the basmati rice and fry until the rice is transparent and the aroma arises.
5. Add in the chopped spring onions and salt and let it set for a minute or two.
6. Transfer the whole thing into the rice cooker and mix in the coconut milk and allow it to cook completely. If you do not want it to be very rich, but just need the flavor of the coconut milk use one cup of milk with two cups of water and for a less rich flavor mix one cup of water with two cups of coconut milk.
Remember to stir it occasionally. Serve hot with side dish of choice....
This recipe goes to Sangeeth's Calcium Rich event.