I love making snacks for weekends as thats when Vivek is also at home to have hot tea and of course even Arya loves puff.
Its an easy to make tiffin and the only thing that one has to buy is the pastry sheets. I also make peas puffs and vegetable puffs and the method for them is also the same as the egg puff, which I have added along with this recipe.
Kids will love it too..
You will need:-
Pastry sheets - 1 no (1 sheet makes 9 puffs)
Red onion - 1 big (chopped fine)
Green chilies - 2 crushed
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chili powder - 1/2 tsp (or as spice required)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Egg - hard boiled 4 nos cut in two
Raw egg - 1 (just beaten and set aside for egg wash)
Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
1. In a kadai pour the oil and when hot add the fennel seeds and once it stops spluttering add the green chilies.
2. Fry it for a few seconds and then add the chopped onions
3. When fully cooked add the garam masala, chili powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and the ginger garlic paste and mix well.
4. If you wish you can add a less than quarter cup of water to cook the masala.
5. Once the raw smell is gone add salt and let it simmer for a minute or two and then add the boiled eggs.
6. Make sure the egg gets covered in masala fully and then reduce the heat to a little less than medium and let is set for 10 minutes.
7. Thaw the pastry sheets according to package instructions and then spread it on to a flat dry surface that has some flour on it. Roll it with a rolling pin just a little bit and then cut it into desired sizes. Pre-heat the over to 350degrees. I use Pepperridge farms pastry sheets and I cut one sheet into 9 pieces.
8. Now place one piece of egg with a little masala on one side of the cut pastry sheet.
9. Take the egg wash and rub it on the sides and then fold the sheet and make sure the sides stick together, use a fork to press it down.
10. Rub a few drops of egg wash on the top of the sheet, as that will give the puff a nice glaze color.
11. Follow the same procedure for all the other pastry sheets and then place then one by one leaving a little place between them.
12. Place them in the oven for 12-14 minutes, depending on the oven or until golden brown on the top.
13. Serve hot with ketchup or any sauce.
For peas puff :- It is the same ingredients as teh above instead of egg add 1/2 a cup of peas and you can also add more onions if you like.
For veg puff :- Add 1/4 cup of peas, 1/4 cup of finely cut french peans, 1/4 cup of grated/finely chopped carrot.
P.S. - If you do not eat egg then just use water to stick the sides of the pastry sheets and you can use a fork to press down the sides.