Wednesday, July 2, 2008
An easy to make potato fry that can be made with less effort and spicy too. Arya's most favorite vegetable is potato and if there is potato fry on his plate that is the only thing he will eat. We make potatoes once in two weeks and we all love it too.
Potatoes - 4 medium cut into small pieces (no need to remove teh skin, its optional)
Shallots - 2 chopped fine
Garlic - 2 cloves chopped fine
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chili powder - 1.5tsp
Curry leaves - a few
Asafoetida - a few pinch
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad dhal - 1/4 tsp
Bengal gram - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4tsp
Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Heat a non-stick kadai and pour the oil
2. Once hot add the mustard seeds, urad dhal, bengal gram, asafoetida, cumin seeds, curry leaves and when the spluttering stop.
3. Add the chopped garlic and fry well
4. Now the turmeric powder and the chili powder followed by the cut potatoes
5. Mix well and make sure the potatoes are well coated with the spices.
6. Do not cover it, stir it occasionally and when half done add salt and the chopped shallots.
7. There is no need to add water as the potatoes are cut small they will cook fast and by themselves.
8. Serve hot with dhal rice, lemon rice or with rotis. This is a very dry dish.