NALABAGHAM

I ain't good at drawing but I can say with confidence that I can cook quite well and make everyone happy, with a good meal. Cooking is an art and with passion & Love for it we can create so many wonderful dishes....Loving it everytime...

Friday, November 19, 2010

Shrimp Thokku

I know that I haven't blogged in a long time and you can say that yeah I haven't made time for the same too. A bit guilty but am gonna try and work towards getting back on track with the same all over again. Have missed doing the writing part and trying out new things. So am starting today with a dish that my friend told me a couple of days back and I thought that this might be the best time to start it all over again. And so here I am, and am happy to be back.
Shrimp Thokku as my friend Nisha calls it, was so yumm that I couldn't stop munching on it and was overbefore I could even take a picture of it, next time will surely take a pic and add it...And so here goes the easy recipe.Nisha's dishes are always so delicious and I just love her recipes.

Ingredients:-
Big Red Onion - 1 minced
Ripe Tomato - 2 crushed
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Chili powder - 1.5 tsp
Coriander powder - 1.5tsp
Turmeric powder - 1tsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves - you should have it
Cilantro - also garnish
Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
Coconut oil - 1 tsp
Shrimp - 1 lb
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp

Method:-
In a non-stick kadai heat the cooking oil and when hot add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Once it splutters add the minced onions and cook until pink and then add all the masala powders and fry for a few seconds on medium to low heat.
Now add the crushed tomatoes and a 1/4 cup of water and let it cook till the raw smell goes.
Once the masala is ready add the clean shrimp (make sure it is room temperature) and stir well and maintain the heat to medium
Add salt and stir it well. Do not cover the vessel.
As it is cooking, in a small skillet heat the coconut oil and when hot add curry leaves and fry it for about 5 -10 seconds and remove the skillet from the stove and keep it aside
Once the shrimp is almost done add the fried curry leaves andturn the heat to high and keep mixing. Basically the masala should become a bit dry and switch it off and add the cilantro.
I did not add the cilantro as I loved the aroma of the coconut oil in it....
Serve it with hot rice and dhal or rasam..ThanQ Nisha for this easy recipe.

No comments: