Thought of starting this years recipes with a sweet dish. On New Years day my close friend had made rice kheer with almonds and saffron and it was divine. I have eaten rice kheer before but never with almonds... My son who hardly likes anything with rice had a big cup of it as dinner. It was rich in flavor but not heavy. Today I thought that I should try to re-invent in my own way. The only thing missing in my pantry is saffron and still could not resist the temptation to try it.
And so here it goes.
Raw rice - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Saffron - a few strands
Sweetened condensed milk - 1 small tin
Almonds - 1 cup
Milk - around half a litre
1. Soak the almonds for a few hours and then peel the skin and run it in the mixie for a few seconds till it gets coarsely ground without water.
2. Cook the rice as usual with the required amount of water. Do not over cook it.
3. In a non-stick vessel heat the milk and add the ground almonds and keep stirring so that it doesn't get burnt at the bottom.
4. Add cardamom powder, saffron and the cooked rice and stir it for a few minutes before adding the sugar.
5. Stir it until it melts.
6. Add the condensed milk and stir it continuously. Check if it is sweet enough. If you like it to be very sweet you can add more sugar.
7. After 5 mnutes pour everything into the rice cooker and let it cook until it thickens. If you do not have a rice cooker you can pour it in a vessel and place it inside a pressure cooker and stir it every 5 minutes until it thickens.
8. Once done switch it off and let it set for a few minutes before you remove it to the serving dish.
You can serve it warm or cold. Do try it out and let me know.
This is my son tasting it and he said,"amma good job".