Mom used to make this in Chennai and when I had my friend Nisha over here, I made it. My mom would try out new dishes and she is really good too, I do miss her food. I am waiting for her to come next month and ask her to make some of her best dishes which I wanna learn and ofcourse share it with you guys. For a first attempt it was really yumm and dad said its perfect just like mom's, oohh what a relief. Its very easy to make and you can prepare and keep it 2 to 4 days earlier and only thing you will have to do is fry it before serving it.. So here it goes.
You will need :-
Tilapia - 1 lb (or any fish make sure there is no skin or bones in it)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder - as per spice required
Onion - 1 big - chopped very fine
Green chilies - 4 chopped very fine
Ginger - chopped fine
Bread crumbs - as required
Eggs - 2 (only whites)
1. Cut the fish into small pieces and place them in a non-stick kadai and add turmeric powder, salt and a little pepper powder with a little water. And let it cook completely. Make sure it is cooked fully and the water has to dry completely.
2. Let it cool a little and then smash it with a fork or hand and make sure there are no lumps.
3. Now mix it with the onions, green chilies, pepper powder, ginger and mix it really well.
4. Let is set for 10 -15 mins
5. In the meantime break the eggs and remove the whites and keep it separately in a wide bowl so that you can put your hand in easily and put some bread crumbs in another plate and keep it next to it.
6. Make small balls of size and shape of choice.Dip first it in the egg white and then roll it in the bread crumbs and keep it aside.Make sure the crumbs cover it fully.
7. Fry it just before serving and serve it hot with ketchup or sauce.
1.) If you are gonna take it from the refrigirator , remember to bring it room temperature before
2.) If you dont like to bite ginger, peel it, put it in the freezer for 30mins then grate it and mix it, that way you wont even know its there.
3.)If you make it and keep it in the freezer it will stay for 2-3 weeks.