Tuesday, February 16, 2010
I wish I could be more regular with my blog, but guess what, with two kids every time I get a free time all I wanna do is just sit without doing anything. This is a dish I made last week and to my realization I haven't made pasta for more than six months.Well so here it is, though a bit rich in flavor but without cheese.
Shallot - 1 finely chopped
Garlic cloves - 2 finely crushed
Red pepper flakes - for spice
Paprika - 1/4 tsp
Basil - i used dry crushed herb (1/4 tsp)
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
All purpose flour - 2 tbsp
Unsalted butter - 2 tbsp
Whipping cream - 1/4 cup (i used regular)
You can cook the pasta as you are getting the broccoli ready.
1. Bring a big pot of water to boil and add salt to and the amount of pasta needed. Let it cook al dante.
2. In the meantime in a non stick pan heat the olive oil.
3. Add the garlic and shallot and fry it till the aroma rises.
4. Add the pepper powder and red pepper flakes as per spice needed. Add the basil. If using fresh add around 2 tbsp chopped.
5. You can add a dash of white dry wine if you want, i didn't add it
6 .Add the broccoli florets and fry it for a couple of minutes and add salt.
7. In another non-stick pan melt the butter and add the flour, fry it and add the milk and keep stirring it to avoid lumps.
8. When it is about to boil add the whipping cream and lowe the heat and stir it for a couple of minutes and then add it the broccoli.
9. Switch off the stove and let it rest in that heat itself
10. Pre-heat the over to 350-375 degrees.
11. Transfer the cooked pasta to an oven safe tray and pour the broccoli gravy on top.
12. Sprinkle the paprika on top and bake it for 10 - 12 minutes
13. Serve it hot
If you do not have oven, for step 7 add 1/2 of milk and for step 8 add 1/2 cup of whipping cream.
And let it cook for a while on low heat. Add it to the broccoli and let it simmer for 5 minutes and then add the cooked pasta. Since this is done stove top, when you add the pasta add around 1/4 cup of the water that you used to cook the pasta.